Wednesday 6 October 2010

Still growing in the greenhouse...

Alright, so the photos I posted in my last entry were a little misleading. I realise that now. Nothing is that pretty and colourful at this time of year... So I've just been down to the greenhouse to take stock of what's still growing and here are some photos taken today...

Pearl tomatoes from Spain, that's all I know about them unfortunately. I managed to dig out and dry some teeny tiny seeds from my favourite supermarket-bought tomatoes last winter and they rewarded me with hundreds of absolutely de-licious baby plum tomatoes. A definite on next year's list. Just have to remember to save some seeds....

Robson Angola - A variety I received from Angelica as a baby plant. Although tasty, they were a bit too mealy (mjölig) for me. Not going on next year's list, but it was fun to try and they are really dark and made an attractive addition to salads and other dishes.


Gardener's Delight, last year's favourite. Big disappointment this year. Probably because I was blown away by my pearl tomatoes. Tested growing them outside too, but they were attacked by what was presumably blight.

A really fun chilli, the Jamaican Bell capsicum baccatum. Although fabulously attractive and dead easy to grow, producing lots of fruit, it definitely wasn't worth growing for the Scoville factor. One or two had a bit of a kick in the seeds, but this is more of a sweet pepper than a chilli. Not going on next year's list.
The Hungarian Hot Wax capsicum annuum surprised me. Absolutely nothing happened for ages (my inconsistent fertilizing may have had something to do with it...), then it sprouted. And boy did it sprout. These babies are huge. I can see where they get their name too. They're really shiny!
These are a bit of mystery these ones. The seeds came from a seed chain I joined last winter through Odla and the (home-made) packet simply said '1cm chilies'. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but these are not 1cm long... Perhaps they meant 1cm wide...? Anyhoo, they tasted a bit kinda Thai chilli-like. Not decided if they're going on next year's list or not...
Again, probably due to my inconsistent fertilizing, my Serrano's (seeds kindly donated by Patrik) started sprouting again after more than a month of nothing. At the moment they're teeny tiny. Ever the optimist, I'm hoping to get something out of the plant before it dies. These were fantastic! Silly hot, particularly for their size. Definitely on the 2011 list.
Now, my Cayenne Long Slim capsicum annuum plant produced lots of really really mild (basically sweet peppers) fruit early on in the season, leading me to think I'd mixed my seeds up. Then all of a sudden a really hot one came along. It sprouted another bunch of peppers quite late on, which have just started turning red. Let's hope they have a little more heat in them...
This is a funny little one, another donation from Angelica - a Hot Scotch Bonnet capsicum chinense. It has grown reeeeeaaaaally slowly, and I mean reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaally slowly. It can't be more than 15cm high - after a whole summer and almost a whole autumn in the greenhouse! And look! A pepper has appeared! Ok, I have zoomed in - in actual fact this teeeeny tiny fruit is no more than a cm wide...
Check out these twin Aji Colorados capsicum baccatum joined at the stalk. Another tongue-numbing favourite - definitely going on next year's list.
These two are the only fruits produced by the only Italian Red Pepper plant I grew this year. Not going to bother next year.

That's about all there is going on inside the greenhouse. I will be posting an update of what's growing in the kitchen garden outside the greenhouse when the risk of wild boar is over.

I was taking photos this morning when a bunch of them sauntered right by me (ok, well not right by me... but you know what I mean...), scaring the bejeesus out of me! Needless to say I scarpered quick as a flash and have been indoors ever since...

1 comment:

  1. Helt fantastiska bilder Laura! Jag blir inte lite inspirerad :)

    ReplyDelete